Summer Research Internship (SRI)
The Summer Research Internship is the "capstone" activity for motivating and preparing highly qualified students for doctoral study. It includes ten weeks of field and/or laboratory research. Each McNair scholar has at least one faculty mentor from their academic department who guides the student’s research through to completion. For information about becoming a mentor or finding a mentor, visit the Mentors webpage.
Upon completion of the research, the student and faculty member prepare a report on their research project. The research is reported upon at a research symposium at the end of the summer, or in early autumn.
SRI Program Requirements
- Must have completed sophomore year
- Must be a McNair Scholar. If you are interested please contact Juana Hollingsworth.
- Contact and confirm the participation of a faculty mentor to support and supervise the research program.
- Spend 35 hours per week on the research project plus 5 hours per week in Scholar Meetings. Students are expected to meet and consult with their advisor on a regular basis throughout the 9-week experience.
- Attend regular workshops, lectures, informal faculty meetings, visits to other campuses, and bi-weekly Scholar Meetings.
- Submit an abstract and give an oral presentation about their summer research.
- Submit a final research paper (10-15 pages).
Pre-SRI Documents required DUE May 13, 2017
- SRI Mentor & Scholar Agreement pdf doc
- Research Proposal signed by faculty mentor
- Stipend Disbursement Agreement pdf doc [sample pdf doc ]
- Supplier Information Form
SRI participants are eligible to receive a stipend in the course of their efforts. These stipends shall be paid in six installments, each payable upon completion of a corresponding benchmark called a milestone. It is important to note that, if requirements are not met, payments will not be made. In addition, participants may receive assistance with room and board during the Summer Research Internship. Details of room and board arrangements are available from program staff.
June 5, 2017 - August 4, 2017
Student SRI Materials
Guide to the Summer Research Internship Program:
After acceptance, the following need to be filled out and signed:
- SRI Mentor & Scholar Agreement
- SRI Stipend Disbursement Agreement
- UNI Supplier Information Form or have a vendor number on file, please check with the program secretary to verify
Please review and fill out the highlighted sections on the form, for an example, click here.
Forms due throughout the summer:
- SRI Time and Effort Log
- SRI Receipts Worksheet or Word Version
- SRI Milestone Completion Form or Word Version
- SRI Faculty Research Acceptance Form