How to Apply
Students who qualify for McNair Scholars Program must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at the University of Northern Iowa.
Students who are US citizens or permanent residents; first generation and from a low income household or from a group currently underrepresented in graduate education are eligible to apply.
For further information on eligibility, please see the eligibility requirements here.
How to apply:
To apply for the McNair Scholars Program, the following documents must be submitted. The hyperlinks include PDF and/or Word versions depending on the type of form.
1. McNair Scholars Application (PDF or Word)
2. Tax Return or 1040 Substitute (PDF) – must be signed
3. Authorization for Release of Information (PDF)
4. Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification), or a copy of Green Card or INS Case Number
5. Certification of Eligibility for Federal Assistance in Certain Programs (PDF)
Please submit your application to:
Brenda Whiteside (Secretary)
2401 College Street (Honors Cottage)
*Please bring appropriate identification documents with you at this time. *
The application process:
After receiving your complete application packet McNair personnel will:
- Verify your identity and check for signature on tax information
- Pre-screen your application for eligibility in the program and contact you through UNI email
- Invite eligible applicants to complete Phase 2 of the application process
Students who are found to be eligible for the program will be asked to complete the following:
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation from two faculty members
- Personal interview with the UNI McNair Scholars Program selection committee